A youth group calling itself the United Krobo Foundation has given the government a 14-day ultimatum to back down on the decision to move the Eastern region’s University of Environment and Sustainable Development from Somanya to Bunso.
According to the group, failure on the part of the government to heed their call will lead to turmoil.
“The Government must reverse its decision within a clear fourteen (14) days to bring peace”, it warned.
During the 2012 elections, the then President, John Mahama promised to construct a University in the Eastern region in line with his policy of establishing a university in each region.
He subsequently inaugurated a committee to develop a roadmap for its establishment at its two campuses – Somanya and Donkorkrom in Afram Plains.
But it seems plans are underway to move the Somanya Campus to Bunso, a move the youth group disapproves of.
The group had demonstrated through the principal streets of Odumase and Somanya to register their displeasure over what they claim is a subtle attempt by the government to site the main campus of the first Eastern region university at Bunso.
A statement issued by the group said government’s decision will among other things amount to “a calculated revolt against presidential and parliamentary directives issued on Act 898 on establishing a University of Environmental and Sustainable Development (UESD) and a conspiracy against Krobos and South Eastern Ghana.”
It, therefore, demands investigations into what it describes as “political sabotage.”
Below are the demands of the group
- We deem the action taken, with the connivance of parliament as ethnocentric and fascist by the NPP Government.
- Government is for sustainability in development; the action is uncalled for because the contract funds, were provided by the NDC regime with an Act of parliament.
- That by the action, it will bring retaliation and vindictiveness of politics in Ghana.
- That centrifugal force of fascism in development will reign in Ghana and disintegrate the peace loving people of Ghana.
- That experts situated the University at Somanya have the agriculture exuberance of Krobos for the choice.
- Already, Koforidua Technical University at and Bunso Agricultural University College can cater for the central and northern part of the Eastern Region.
- The Minority interest should be taken into consideration by the NPP Government. Citing the University at Somanya will cater for the large minorities and ethnic groups of South Eastern Ghana, inclusive Southern Volta.
- Taking the University to University to Bunso is a clear case of ethnocentrism and facism in Ghana. This is very unfortunate and must be condemned by all peace-loving and state developmental strategies in Ghana.
“The main UESD campus must be sited at Somanya and work commence vigorously at the site”, the statement concluded.
By: Nii Larte Lartey/citinewsroom.com/Ghana
CLICK HERE TO HIRE A Top Website Developers For Your Projects. The Web Guys - IT Product Supply | ӏT Support | Network Support | Hardware Support | Office Setup| Web Development Services, HIRE NOW! PAY LESS!